Saturday, February 7, 2015

"Getting Out There" in the Social Media Sense

I have always written for myself, and I imagined that "one day" I would write for publication, but I didn't think I'd be writing what I'm writing, and I didn't think it would happen until I was older...close to retirement age. But, as luck would have it, I have the chance now, and I'm taking it!

That said, I decided that I need to get organized about it. I have no marketing experience, so trying to "get myself out there" is a challenge. What's more, I tend to be a private person, so I don't care overly much for attention. I am one of those people who loves the story and wants my characters to come to life for my reader because I want to say something...feel like it needs to be said...not that I want to be the one people call on the phone to talk about it. So where to begin?

The publishing company sent me a worksheet to fill out regarding where readers could find me:

blog address
twitter address
Facebook
Pintrest
Dreamwidth
Livejournal
Tumblr
Smashwords
Goodreads
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Etc.

The next day, I set up a twitter, Facebook, and Blogger account. I plan to eventually make a website, and I need to make some bios for Amazon, Goodreads, and Barnes and Noble. I'd love to use all the media, but it begins to take time away from actually writing stories. Striking a balance will be one of my most difficult tasks.

My interests are not ones where I would necessarily share what I eat, who I talk to, where I shop, etc. I like doing things with a few close people. I was in the Peace Corps, and where other people brought pictures of their families to share, I brought pictures of the Chicago Air Show because it was the last big event I went to with my family. Clearly, I am different from most people out there, but maybe it's time for me to move outside of that comfort zone. Certainly for my career's sake, I need to work on my social platform. So, that said, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment